Now you've settled in, gotten to know your flatmates, and realised you can't live off noodles and cheesy chips forever, it's time to learn to cook!
What better way to do it than getting together with 'the flat' and having your first sit-down meal?
Here are 3 cheap-and-easy courses to share out between you and your new flatmates...
Sticky chicken wings
Cooking time: 40 mins (5 prep, 35 cooking)
Ingredients: 2 1⁄2lbs chicken wings, 1⁄2 cup soy sauce, 1⁄2 cup honey, 2 tablespoons ketchup, 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder, 1⁄2 teaspoon ground ginger
- Preheat oven to 200C & spray a shallow baking pan with cooking spray.
- Place wings in a pan, sprinkle lightly with salt and pepper then bake for 15 minutes.
- Whisk together soy sauce, honey, ketchup, garlic powder and ginger.
- Remove wings from the oven and pour the sauce over them. Return to oven for 20 minutes, turning wings in sauce every 4-5.
- Wings should be well glazed and sticky when done.
Cooking time: 30-35 minutes
Ingredients: 1 chopped onion, 450g minced beef, 1 tin of chopped tomatoes, mixed herbs, 4 fresh lasagne sheets, parmesan cheese
For the white sauce: handful of plain flour, knob of butter, a glass of milk
- Heat a drop of oil in a frying pan, add your onion and stir until brown. Then, crumble the beef into the pan, using a spatula to chop into smaller pieces & stir.
- Once light brown, mix in chopped tomatoes and a pinch of mixed herbs. Let simmer on a low heat.
- On a medium heat, melt the butter in a saucepan. Mix in flour then, add the milk a drop at a time until you get a smooth and creamy sauce (this can take up to 10 minutes)
- Place a lasagne sheet at the bottom of an ovenproof dish, cover with a spoonful of the meaty mixture, and top with another lasagne sheet. Repeat until all meat has been used. Then cover with white sauce.
- Place in a pre-heated oven (190C) for 20-25 minutes, or until the top of the lasagne starts to turn brown.
- Remove from the oven and serve with garlic bread (you can shop buy this!)
No-cook chocolate tart
Ingredients: 200g pack all-butter biscuits, 100g butter, 1tbsp golden syrup, 100g bar dark chocolate, 100g bar milk chocolate, 1 tsp vanilla extract, 2 tbsp icing sugar, 200ml whipping cream
- Crush the biscuits by putting them in a strong, plastic food bag and bashing with a rolling pin.
- Melt the butter and syrup together and stir in the biscuits. Press onto the base and up the sides of a 12 x 36cm tin and chill.
- Break up chocolate bars into a bowl and melt in the microwave for 2-3 mins on medium, stirring halfway. Stir in the vanilla extract then sift in the icing sugar.
- Whip the cream until it just holds its shape, then fold into the melted chocolate. Pour into the prepared tin and smooth the top. Chill for 2hrs.
All you have to do now is get to your nearest supermarket, split the cost, share the courses (the work and the food) and enjoy! Remember to alter serving amounts accordingly.