Fire! Safety First!
Do you know what to do in an emergency?
The recent fire involving student accommodation in Bolton serves as an important reminder of fire safety in halls. It's essential that we all know how to stay safe in a fire emergency!
To keep yourself and others safe, here are a few things you should know:
1. Understand the fire procedures and the evacuation plan for your building
This should have been drilled into you by now but if you don't know it - find out! There'll be info in your room about what to do in the event of a fire so make sure you give it a read. What's more, if you have any questions just ask the staff at your hall (or your landlord) who will be more than happy to help you understand what to do and how to safely leave the building in the event of fire.
2. Never assume someone else has called 999
South Yorkshire Fire & Rescue Service (SYFR) would prefer the same call more than once rather than no call at all.
3. Never assume test or false alarm
There's always going to be that one person who constantly burns their toast in the morning accidentally setting off the fire alarm and waking the entire hall (don't you just hate it when that happens!), but we can never assume that a fire alarm is a false alarm. Make sure you do your bit to minimise the chances of a false alarm and always follow the evacuation procedure whenever the alarm is raised.
If you're still unsure about the fire safety procedures for your hall or would like some more info contact you site management team or landlord who will be happy to help. There's also a heap of info and advice on the South Yorkshire Fire & Rescue website.
Stay safe folks!
- Read Next
- Top 5 reasons to return to live in Hallam Halls HELP! Who do I live with next year? Why I'm staying at The Elements... LIV Student - New for 2019! It's time to LOVE where you LIVe at LIV Student! My TOP house hunting tips! My favourite things about halls A plea from the fire service Drugs - know the risks, know how to get help Takeaways can save lives! Looking for a house for next year? What's snug? Hall Spotlight: The Trigon
- £1 Wednesday! Breaking News - Mumps Healthy Hallam Week Hall Spotlight: The Trigon Take a look around The Elements!