Meningitis - Know the Facts
It's time to start your new adventure, but there are a few important things you need to know before you arrive.
As a student you are in an at risk group in regards to catching meningitis, the MenACWY vaccine protects you against some types of meningitis and septicemia. . It's free to all students under 25, including international students , so make sure you book in with your GP to have this vaccination.
While you are at the GP, why not take the time to make sure that you are up to date on all your vaccinations.
Know the signs -
- High temperature or fever
- Feeling drowsy
- Confusion or disorientation
- Being violently sick
- Severe headache
- Neck stiffness (can't touch your chin to your chest)
- Joint or muscle pains
- Rapid deterioration of health
- Rash of tiny spots red/purple in colour, which may spread to look like bruising. In the majority of cases, the rash does not disappear when pressed firmly, a good way to check this is to press a glass against it.
- Read Next
- Make Your Mark Meet the Team What is HallsLife? What's it like studying abroad? Top tips from our Frenchay RA A Resident Assistant's Top Tips for Moving In! 9 Things to do before you move to uni Strapped for Cash? In need of a Job? Accommodation Show Flat Viewing Request Collecting your parcels Get the Cleaners in! The Students' Union Advice Centre Friday Funday - Every Friday at the SU
- How to use your student village heater Accommodation Customer Services Desk Repairs Request Pass Inspection and Win a Prize! Happy HallsLife Halloween